Grounded

Grounded

Sunday, January 1, 2012

119th Post - Joy3

Truth be told it's difficult to understand what I was thinking when I picked 'joy' as my OneWord for 2011. The year began with unlimited potential; a plethora of warm fuzzies. 

As I center my thoughts in order to write a year end reflection of 'joy', I must confess, 2011 ended with a fizzle. There were certainly many highlights throughout the year; the most significant being the marriage of my middle son. It has been a joy to welcome my newest daughter in law into our family. Throughout 2011 we had many memorable times with our already large and ever expanding family. But joy? Right now?  Not so sure.



In an effort to grasp what I may be missing, I did a google search and according to Webster I should have it.
Definition of joy
a : the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires :delight
b : the expression or exhibition of such emotion : gaiety
: a state of happiness or felicity : bliss
: a source or cause of delight

Curiously my well-being, success, good fortune, along with  possessing much of what I desire, is not translating into the appropriate emotions. 
Where's the joy? If it truly is a combination of delight, bliss and gaiety, it's just not happening. 
My spirit convicts me of this  mood that could be called malaise. I should not be in this place; I have no reason to be in this place. I am thankful (could have made thankful my word), there is a calm in my heart - but today, and yesterday, and the day before...joy has been well hidden. Sorry to disappoint. 

As I re-read this reflection I am confident that although Joy seems elusive in this moment, there is no doubt; not even a little bit, that all is well with my soul.

Music speaks to, and is an expression of my heart. I leave you with a link to Amy Grant's arrangement of the old annointed hymn, It Is Well With My Soul,  Perhaps this is the best reflection of the state of my heart on January 1, 2012.

Hope your 2011 word worked out better than mine. After all Better is Possible.  

Now 'hope', there's a good word.






3 comments:

  1. Light!

    Look at the light
    Enlightenment

    Everything else falls under it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope is a fabulous word. I didn't choose a word at the beginning of 2011, but summed the year up with my 2011 word and my choice for 2012.

    Acceptance and achievement.

    Here's to 2012!

    ReplyDelete